The Dental Postgraduate section ran a series of roadshows around Wales throughout January 2018, to highlight the changes to the General Dental Council Enhanced CPD (ECPD) scheme.
5 events were held around Wales and 1 online event using Onsync. Delegates were informed about the forthcoming changes, being implemented by the GDC from 1st January 2018 for Dentists and the 1st August 2018 for Dental Care Professionals.
Each event explained how the changes will affect them as registrants, and how they and their dental teams can prepare themselves to ensure they meet the requirements of the mandatory scheme to comply with their professional regulation.
The main changes to the scheme are:
- The requirement for all dental professionals to have a personal development plan (PDP)
- An increase in the number of verifiable hours for most professional titles and the requirement to spread the hours more evenly across the five year cycle
- Dental professionals no longer have to declare non-verifiable CPD to the GDC
- The requirement to make an annual statement of CPD hours completed, even if zero hours have been completed for that year
- The requirement to align CPD activity with specific development outcome
- The requirement for professionals to plan CPD activity according to their individual “field(s) of practice”
The events were a great success with a total of 422 dental professionals in attendance. Feedback received to date has been excellent:
- I feel that my knowledge of the GDC Enhanced CPD scheme had greatly improved since the presentation last night. Thank you.
- This was a great presentation of the GDC Enhanced CPD starting 2018.
- It was informative and explained clearly. I can now cascade the information to other DCPs.
- A well presented session, straightforward and clear. I thought I knew this topic but I learnt a lot!
- A very well delivered course, very precise and accurate plus the handouts were useful.
- The course enabled me to understand the way that CPD is changing
As CPD providers the section has also had to ensure we are following changes to ECPD. Updates have been made to our course booking system, which now enables users to reflect on the course they have recently attended. These comments are then automatically saved to their certificate of attendance, following completion of the online course evaluation form. To date we have received some excellent feedback from users about the ease of use of the course booking system and we are sure these enhancements will improve their experience even further.
The section propose to run further ECPD events in the summer, ready for the 1st August implementation date for Dental Care Professionals.
For further information about the Enhanced CPD scheme, please contact Kirstie Moons, Associate Director of Workforce Development