Designed to Smile is the Welsh Government National Oral Health Improvement Programme. HEIW and Dental Public Health Team have developed an e-learning module for dental teams in Wales.
The course guides dental professionals through an online Quality Improvement project to embed evidence based preventative care and advice for children aged 0-6 in their practice.
How is the course structured?
Designed to Smile in Practice consists of nine sessions. These sessions cover a variety of topics including:
- a recap of the latest evidence-based guidelines regarding preventive care and advice for young children
- an insight into Designed to Smile activities in your area
- how to identify opportunities for improvement within your practice with regard to dental care for children aged six and under
- how to undertake tests of change with regard to preventive care and advice for children aged six and under
- how to evaluate whether changes you’ve tested have been successful.
Who can enrol to take part in Designed to Smile in Practice?
Designed to Smile in Practice is suitable for all GDC-registered members of the dental team. We would particularly like to encourage Dental Care Professionals (dental hygienists, dental therapists and dental nurses) to consider enrolling to take part.
What are the benefits of taking part?
- Gain a Qualification – Learners who complete this course will receive Silver Foundation Improving Quality Together (IQT) Accreditation
- Verifiable Continuing Professional Development – Completion of this course meets the GDC’s educational criteria for 10 hours of verifiable CPD
- Find out about Designed to Smile – Users can learn more about Designed to Smile and access a free in-practice learning session from a local Designed to Smile team
- Improve Preventive Care – Improve the quality of preventive care and advice provided to young children attending your dental clinic